Friday, March 16, 2012

I-pad is the key to unlocking doors to engagement

I finally had the chance to use a classroom set of i-pads as a reinforcement to all of the math concepts my first graders have learned so far (see video below).  Instant feedback to children is of vital importance when it comes to reinforcing a newly-learned skill. When there is only one teacher in the room, instant feedback doesn't happen often enough.  Today, I had seventeen tutors in the room with me in the form of i-pads with fantastic math apps such as Telling Time and Penguin Math.  Each app gives instant feedback to the child, letting them know if the answer was correct or not and allowing them to try again.  The only job I had was in making certain that each student was exploring apps which were appropriate for their skill level (ie. not too hard and not too easy).  So, in effect, each child had a customized activity in front of them according to their skill level.  The rest was up to the i-pads!  The  kids had a great time and I am positive that they didn't even realize that they were reinforcing a learned skill.  So much better than a worksheet!



No comments:

Post a Comment