Friday, March 19, 2010

Seizing Daily Opportunities

I want to thank Philly-Teacher's blog (http://philly-teacher.blogspot.com/), for helping to inspire this post. In her last blog, she asked for a list on what you like about Education. I love posts which focus on the positive aspects of our job because, as we all know already, it is so easy to get sucked into the vortex of all the problems in education, political bashing and daily complaints.

Educators have the BEST jobs in the world! By BEST I don't mean easiest, most supported, or highest paying. But, for me, the rewards far outweigh any complaints that I may be aiming to eliminate from my mind.

I wanted to write a list of what I get to do (or at least have the opportunity to do) every day in the service of teaching:

Every day I have the opportunity to:

• Make a child laugh.
• Help parents who may feel discouraged or at wits end.
• Witness and help create "AHA" moments in young minds.
• Wipe away tears of fear and hug away anxiety.
• Open up new worlds.
• Share my experience of life every day to wondering (and often wandering) minds.
• Share in the triumphs of each child in my room.
• Soothe the anxious minds of children and parents (and sometimes co-workers and administrators)
• Learn from numerous different perspectives -- children, parents, fellow educators, administrators.
• Share with the wonderful colleagues who want to help make the world a better place for children.
• Be reminded of how a child sees the world.
• Be reminded of how love and caring are the most important resources we share with each other.

These are my daily opportunities on any given day -- if I so choose to seize them. It's up to me to make this choice.

The list may strike some a sappy, but for me it is truth.

What is on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment